FULTON COUNTY GOVERNMENT
DIRECTOR, LIBRARY SERVICES/ DIRECTOR, QUALITY OF LIFE SERVICES
JOB SUMMARY: Incumbent in this class performs strategic planning and programming duties related to directing the Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System and other Quality of Life departments including Arts and Culture and Cooperative Extension. Responsibilities include overseeing administrative operations; managing assigned staff; developing and monitoring policies, procedures, and programs related to the Atlanta-Fulton County Public Library System, Arts and Culture, and Cooperative Extension; and advising the Library Board of Trustees on library activities and services.
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS: This is a stand-alone classification which does not fit within a classification series. Incumbent provides administrative oversight and direction for all quality of life services and activities offered through the Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System, Arts and Culture, and Cooperative Extension to improve, enhance, and empower lives in the community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: (This list is a representative sample: position assignments may vary.)
- Plans, directs, administers, and coordinates services and activities offered through the Atlanta- Fulton Public Library System, Arts and Culture, and Cooperative Extension to improve, enhance, and empower lives of citizens.
- Manages assigned staff, including establishing workloads; prioritizing work assignments; evaluating employee performance; developing, interpreting, and enforcing policies and procedures; resolving staff issues; and administering disciplinary action as required. Oversees the entire Atlanta-Fulton Library System, including all programs offered through the Library System and promotes Library System needs to the Board of Commissioners. Participates in the preparation, implementation, and administration of short- and long-range strategic planning processes for the Atlanta-Fulton Library System, and the departments of Arts and Culture and Cooperative Extension.
- Reviews, develops, and updates departmental policies and procedures related to administrative operations for the Atlanta-Fulton Library System, and the departments of Arts and Culture and Cooperative Extension.
- Advises the Library Board of Trustees regarding policies and the direction of the Library System.
- Oversees and coordinates the development and administration of multi-agency budgets for assigned area, including monitoring expenditures and preparing and submitting reports on agency activities and expenditures.
- Establishes partnerships for generating and obtaining grants for the Library System and capital improvement programs.
- Oversees major and extensive capital improvement projects for the Atlanta-Fulton Library System, including the maintenance, design, major construction, and security of the library facilities.
- Interacts with citizens and various social and community groups to develop quality of life plans, programs, and events related to the library, arts and culture, and cooperative extension services.
- Develops policy recommendations for the Board of Commissioners regarding public funding for programs, services, and information offered through the Atlanta-Fulton Library System, and the departments of Arts and Culture and Cooperative Extension; and implements the Board’s guidelines/policies.
- Directs fundraising efforts for various quality of life initiatives as appropriate.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING: (position requirements at entry):
Completion of course work equivalent to the academic requirements of a Master’s degree in library science from a college or university accredited by the American Library Association (ALA); and eight (8) years progressively responsible experience in library management, including four (4) years experience at a senior management/supervisory level in a comparable sized library system. Some experience managing quality of life programs related to arts and culture or community and life enrichment services is preferred.
LICENSING REQUIREMENTS: (position requirements at entry):
Certification as a Professional Librarian issued by the State of Georgia to be obtained within six (6) months of employment.
For immediate consideration and complete job description, please submit resume to Gary Blackwell with The Royster Group at email@example.com or call at (770) 507-3353 ext. 107.