Brooklyn Public Library (BPL) is the fifth largest library system in the United States serving the 2.6 million residents of Brooklyn through a system of 58 neighborhood libraries, a landmarked Central Library, and remotely through its website and other channels. The library has an operating budget of approximately $100 million and employs 1300 part-time and full-time staff. Its strategic plan, released in 2013, [http://goo.gl/lNOhB1] outlines six areas of concentration that include education, access, space, inclusion, culture, and stewardship.
BPL seeks a Chief Librarian. As the Executive Vice President in charge of public service, the Chief Librarian works in concert with other members of the senior management team to deliver transformative library services and spaces to the residents of Brooklyn. The Chief Librarian reports directly to the President and CEO of BPL.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop and execute the Library’s strategic vision as it pertains to public service delivery
- Manage the public service staffing and programming for the Central and neighborhood libraries
- Implement new and interesting ways to expand our user base and improve access to the Library’s collections and services
- Work with stakeholders, including the Library’s Board of Directors, to develop and communicate Library policies
- Present proposals to secure funding from philanthropic individuals and organizations to finance various aspects of the Library’s operations
- Find more effective and efficient ways to deliver service to library patrons
- Espouse and instill a strong sense of customer service
- Mentor staff
- Maintain a productive relationship with union leadership
- Liaise with the New York State Department of Education and other oversight organizations
- Represent the Library at government, industry and public forums
- Communicate library initiatives to elected officials, the media, and other stakeholders
- Maintain current knowledge with respect to library service provision best practices, both from academic sources and from peer organizations
Skills & Qualifications:
- Master’s of Library Science with eight (8) or more years of progressively increasing responsibility in a library management setting, ideally within a large urban public library system
- Demonstrated competencies in leadership and motivation, innovation, negotiation and team building
- Excellent relationship builder and a compelling communicator
- Superior presentation skills, including the presence to deal effectively with diverse constituencies, including principal donors, Board members and government leaders
- Experience developing strategic plans and managing their implementation
- Ability to plan and direct the work of multidisciplinary professional and administrative staff; foster and participate in cross functional groups; and integrate the activities of a diverse program to attain common goals
All interested and qualified applicants should email a cover letter and resume to Job2166@brooklynpubliclibrary.org.
Brooklyn Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.