Robert Morris University has been transforming lives since 1921. The university is seeking a Director, University Library who has the vision and leadership skills to transform the Library into a major campus asset that supports RMU’s new strategic plan initiatives. A private university in Pittsburgh’s west suburban hills, Robert Morris University is set on a 230-acre campus that is a short drive from the cultural and commercial opportunities of a major city. RMU offers more than sixty undergraduate programs and twenty graduate programs, many of which are also offered partly or wholly online, providing academic excellence with a professional focus to its 5,500 students.
- Assures that the RMU Library has collections, staffing, services and facilities that effectively support the educational mission and programs of the University and all pertinent accreditation requirements
- Provides planning, leadership, communication, management, assessment and quality improvement functions for the University Library
- Formulates and implements initiatives necessary to attains goals set forth in the Library’s strategic and annual plans
- Actively monitors the status of the Library in regard to the type and sufficiency of space, collections and staffing required for a university of RMU’s size, type and educational program. Consults with the Vice Provost regarding changes needed to maintain or improve the Library’s comparative status against external benchmarks.
- Oversees a proactive continuous improvement program that utilizes outcomes assessment data as a basis for evaluating and, if need be, changing current practices to better the Library’s array of products and services
- Manages the Library’s budgets to assure that University resources are utilized according to established procedures
- Manages Library staffing, workflows and procedures to assure that necessary services are being provided to Library patrons at the lowest reasonable cost to the University
- MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited library school.
- Minimum of five years of academic library management experience including hiring, training, and evaluating librarians and library staff.
- Excellent working knowledge of practices and current issues in library usage, facilities, technologies, acquisitions, technical services, reference and circulation.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, analytical, grant-writing, problem-solving, budget management and supervisory skills.
- Commitment to providing excellent customer service.
- Track record of active librarianship, scholarship and service suitable for appointment to faculty status and academic rank.
Qualified candidates should submit their letter of interest and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Robert Morris University
6001 University Blvd.
Moon Township, PA 15108
At Robert Morris University, we believe that institutional equity reflects our continued commitment to a community where everyone is both valued and respected. Institutional equity encompasses racial, ethnic, gender and religious diversity, cultural perspectives, national origins, sexual orientation, physical ability, as well as socioeconomic contexts, and educational backgrounds.
We are dedicated to developing a diverse population by fostering an environment where intellectual and social growth, individual perspectives, and all human experiences are valued. We strive to be an inclusive community that celebrates and embraces differences as a means of responding to the cultural and social demands of a global society. Inherent in our inclusion efforts is a strong commitment to intercultural and global education to produce and include citizens who will serve as educational, social, economic and cultural ambassadors to the world. EOE